Cinnamon is my favourite spice. Why? Because that beautifully, delicious, marvellous spice is absolutely full of health benefits that you wouldn’t even expect!
1. Cinnamon is anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
It’s used in Chinese herbal medicine to cure illness because of its many medicinal and soothing properties. The smell and flavour of cinnamon comes from the essential oil, cinnamaldehyde, in the bark. This essential oil is what gives it its anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
2. Cinnamon contains antioxidants with anti-inflammatory effects. This is due to the antioxidant polyphenol which cinnamon contains a huge amount of.
3. Cinnamon contains prebiotics. Prebiotics aid and improve gut health because they promote growth of good bacteria and suppress bad bacteria. Manganese, calcium and fibre are also contained.
4. Cinnamon reduces blood pressure. This makes it brilliant for supporting heart health and our cardiovascular system. It lowers blood pressure too.
5. Cinnamon lowers blood sugar and risk of type 2 diabetes. Add cinnamon to your afternoon snack and that slump you feel in energy and your heightened sugar cravings at this time will disappear.
6. Cinnamon relieves digestive discomfort. It’s used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat flatulence and digestive imbalances, fight illness, increase blood flow and improve blood oxygen levels.
Cinnamon also helps prevent Alzheimer’s, protects against HIV, prevents multiple sclerosis, lowers the effects of a high fat meal, treats and heals chronic wounds, prevents cancer, treats bronchitis, supports loss of appetite and many, MANY more wonderful things!